Principal Linux Engineer
Principal Systems Platform Engineer
Building trusted markets —powered by our people.
At Cboe Global Markets, we inspire our people to solve complex challenges together because what we do matters. We provide the financial infrastructure that powers the global economy. As a leading provider of market infrastructure and tradable products, Cboe delivers cutting-edge trading, clearing and investment solutions to market participants around the world.
We’re building inclusive ways to support professional and personal development while strengthening the trust we’ve earned as a global market leader. Our teams are empowered to share ideas, actively pursue them and bring on a challenge. As champions of internal mobility and access to opportunity, we encourage our people to “go for it” and equip our managers with the training to coach their teams to the next level. Our Associate Resource Groups champion diversity, equity and inclusion, giving associates a safe space to network, share ideas and create opportunities.
We are looking for an exceptional Principal Systems Platform Engineer with extensive experience in managing Linux-based systems and infrastructure, designing and developing system-level software, with a focus on automation to join our expanding global team. You will play a critical role in driving the technical direction and strategy for our platform infrastructure that is highly automated and tuned to meet our business needs.
In this role you’ll be responsible for:
- Oversee and manage our entire Linux-based platform infrastructure, leading the planning, design, implementation, and maintenance of system-level software and infrastructure.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to a team of engineers, promoting best practices in Linux system administration, architecture, software development, and security.
- Design and develop complex, scalable, and highly available system architectures.
- Streamline and automate system workflows and processes, contributing to continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) efforts.
- Create, test, deploy and maintain packages.
- Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve high-complexity system issues, optimizing system performance and reliability.
- Implement and maintain advanced security measures to safeguard system integrity and data protection.
- Stay at the forefront of industry trends and emerging technologies, providing strategic insights to optimize our infrastructure and operations. Perform POC and present results where applicable.
- Liaise with cross-functional teams, including Application Support (SRE), Development, Security and vendors to deliver optimum and secure solution.
- Produce and maintain high-quality technical documentation related to system architectures, processes, and incident reports.
The ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, Information Technology, or a related field; or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of experience in Linux systems administration and platform engineering, with proven track record of technical leadership.
- Profound expertise in scripting languages such as Python.
- Deep understanding of Linux kernel, system internals, tuning, performance optimization, and debugging.
- Proficient with configuration management tools such as SaltStack, Puppet, or Ansible.
- Strong knowledge of network protocols and principles, including multicast, TCP/IP, DHCP, NTP, PTP and DNS.
- Mastery of CI/CD tools and practices, with experience in designing and implementing CI/CD pipelines.
- Advanced experience with system monitoring and log management tools like Prometheus, Grafana, ELK Stack, or Splunk.
- In-depth understanding of secure coding practices, system hardening, and encryption technologies.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and strategic thinking with a focus on innovation and process improvement.
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong, self-motivated and proactive team player with ability to adjust to shifting priorities and time management skills.
You’ll really stand out with:
- Advanced certifications such as RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) or LFCE (Linux Foundation Certified Engineer) are a plus.
- Extensive experience working in cloud-based environments like AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure.
- Expertise with container technologies like Docker and orchestration platforms like Kubernetes.
Experience in leading Agile teams and familiarity with Agile methodologies
Any communication from Cboe regarding this position will only come from a Cboe recruiter who has a @cboe.com email or via LinkedIn Recruiter. Cboe does not use any other third party communication tools for recruiting purposes.