Senior Legal Counsel
Building trusted markets —powered by our people.
At Cboe Europe, we inspire our people to solve complex challenges together because what we do matters. We provide the financial infrastructure that powers the global economy. As a leading provider of market infrastructure and tradable products, Cboe delivers cutting-edge trading, clearing and investment solutions to market participants around the world.
We’re building inclusive ways to support professional and personal development while strengthening the trust we’ve earned as a global market leader. Our teams are empowered to share ideas, actively pursue them and bring on a challenge. As champions of internal mobility and access to opportunity, we encourage our people to “go for it” and equip our managers with the training to coach their teams to the next level. Our Associate Resource Groups champion diversity, equity and inclusion, giving associates a safe space to network, share ideas and create opportunities.
Sound like the place for you? Join us!
The Legal team is hiring for Senior Legal Counsel.
The Senior Legal Counsel at Cboe will have day-to-day ownership of legal work arising in relation to the Cboe Europe entities and be required to assist the Head of Legal on project work as required. This position reports to the Head of Legal, Cboe Europe. The team further consists of a Senior Legal Counsel and Chief Legal Officer. The Cboe global legal team consists of around 40 lawyers.
In this role you’ll be responsible for:
- Performs high level drafting of complex legal documents. Depending on the area of focus, examples of these documents could include, among others, merger and acquisition agreements, board and committee materials, benchmark administrator and market data related materials, outsourcing and inter group service and transfer agreements, registrations, and filings to regulatory agencies in relation to new products and services, responses to regulatory consultations and regulatory assessments.
- Reviews agreements presented by sophisticated counterparties and modifies those agreements in order to protect the interests of the company and to fully specify the deliverables and obligations of the parties.
- Assists with the provision of legal advice and guidance to senior business leaders regarding legal issues in the area of focus and regarding how complex business goals may be achieved from a legal perspective. Litigation work focuses on identifying and communicating litigation risks to internal stakeholders.
- Possesses and applies knowledge of the financial markets and financial products, as well as an understanding of considerations involving multiple areas of law, in providing legal advice and structuring, drafting, reviewing, and revising documents prepared by internal stakeholders to the area of focus.
- Performs other legal work for the company as required or requested, such as with respect to corporate, litigation, or regulatory matters.
The ideal candidate has:
- Previous experience as a practicing lawyer drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements or performing in other practice areas applicable that is the focus of the role.
- Good understanding of the European securities industry/capital markets, post-MiFID II landscape and market infrastructure.
- Previous experience in a commercial, entrepreneurial, and fast-paced environment working closely with the business.
- Ability to work autonomously, manage business stakeholder expectations, fluctuating workload, and priorities.
- Ability to identify key legal issues and to address or instruct and manage external counsel as appropriate.
- Required to think strategically about how Cboe addresses its legal contracts and arrangements with customers and suppliers to ensure robust and efficient outcomes.
- Able to negotiate customer facing agreements to ensure the Cboe's legal position is maintained while the customer relationship is preserved.
Benefits and Perks
We value the total wellbeing of our people – including health, financial, personal and social wellness. We believe standard benefits like health insurance and fair pay are a given at any organization. Still, you should know we offer:
- Fair and competitive salary and incentive compensation packages with an upside for overachievement
- Comprehensive private medical insurance for employees and their families which includes dental cover (taxable benefit)
- Cboe pays for employee access to a private GP service (face to face or phone call consultations) to make it easy and convenient for you to see a doctor
- Life and long term illness insurance for stability and peace of mind
- EAP - This service intends to help employees deal with personal problems that might adversely impact their work performance, health and well-being. This service includes short- term counselling and referral services for employees and their immediate family.
- Enhanced paid parental and adoption leave to support parents
- Cboe offers pensions contribution up to 7% of base salary. You don’t have to contribute yourself.
- ClassPass Corporate Membership which provides access to on-demand classes, livestream classes, in-person classes and wellness sessions across different fitness genres. (taxable benefit)
- 25 days holiday per year per holiday year for full time employees, increasing with length of service at a rate of one extra day per completed years’ service, up to a maximum of 30 days.
- Flexible, hybrid work environment, where you choose where and how you work
- Discounted Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Employee referral bonus program
- Complimentary lunch, snacks and drinks in any Cboe office
- Paid tuition assistance and education opportunities
- Generous charitable giving company match
- Volunteer opportunities to help you give back to your communities
More About Cboe Europe
We’re reimagining the future of the workplace by focusing on what matters most, our people. Our journey is an inclusive one. We’re investing deeply in leadership programs and career development initiatives that ensure everyone has an equal chance to succeed. We celebrate the diversity in our communities, inside and out, and welcome new perspectives with equity, inclusion and belonging.
We work with purpose, solving problems with ingenuity, collaboration, and a lot of passion. We’re an engaged and excited team connecting markets across borders and embracing growth in all its forms to achieve incredible outcomes.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our associates' differences, including race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age and disability
Any communication from Cboe regarding this position will only come from a Cboe recruiter who has a @cboe.com email or via LinkedIn Recruiter. Cboe does not use any other third party communication tools for recruiting purposes.